The Pivot: How and why I’m writing more about politics

Is there anything left to say about sex?

democrat to deplorable jackmurphylive.comAs you may know, I’ve written quite a bit about sex.  From dominance, BDSM, pick up lines, and how to take a girl home from the bar – I’ve covered a lot of ground.  I’ve even written 5,000 words on how to manage love.

But now I wonder, can I write about sex and politics?

Is it possible to write about basic human needs like sex and relationships plus higher level thinking and analysis on politics and culture….at the same time?  Or is there something about being a “sex writer” that makes it impossible to transition?

I’ve written about sex without being lascivious.  I’ve tried to write in a detached academic way which leads to enlightenment on issues rather than be an incitement to arousal. Most of all I’ve tried to give other men something many lack today: hope. If I can create the bedroom life of my dreams, so too can you.

Sex and our infinite consideration of all its forms is something each of us relates to.  Hope in this arena is a worthy currency. Sex clearly unites humanity. Sex is why we are here and how we continue to exist.

Yet sex and sex writing is dirtied and sullied with stigma. Worse yet, offering hope and answers to those who wish to have higher quality and/or more frequent sex is deemed somehow inferior to those writing platitudes about cultural issues.

It seems to me writers have difficulty focusing on sexual issues as well as political ones with any sort of credibility.  It appears in order to develop the identity and reputation necessary to pontificate on national issues, one must abandon or ignore the issues which reach us all in the bedroom.

The Pivot

I’ve seen writers make transitions. Writing about sex is something which can launch a career, but can it sustain it? Roosh, Cernovich, and others exhausted their musings on flesh and moved towards politics and culture.  Why? Was it because they lost a taste for it?  I don’t think so.  I think it is because they drilled down and discovered the same thing I did: that which upsets the bedroom upsets the country.

Examining sexual dynamics, the causes of disruption, and then developing answers in response leads one inevitably to politics and culture.

Sex and culture are symbiotic when functioning properly, parasitic when not. Our current dysfunctional culture meddles in bedrooms and causes relationship disharmony.  It then takes such disruption as evidence of “the problem” and then prescribes more of the same which only makes things worse.  It’s a negative feedback loop.

For example, we know feminism has ruined sexual dynamics by feminizing men and masculinizing women.  Yet, when the results of this are noted, i.e. fewer and less satisfying relationships, the response is to double down on what caused it in the first place.  Instead of suggesting women rediscover their inner femininity and men their manliness, culture reinforces the destructive dynamic by saying men need to do more housework and wear pink pussy hats, while women should be stronger, more independent, and tougher than ever before. One doesn’t need to be a sociologist to see how counter productive this cycle is.

Evolution as a thinker and writer

So, when a man begins to document the observations of things nearest him, in many cases that is sex and relationships, it doesn’t take long before the analysis goes beyond how to get a girl to come home with you and into why the university cabal is ruining America. From there it is no great leap to wonder why university students are indoctrinated into Marxists ideologies which in turn sparks an examination of all the political forces at work. When you begin to follow the money and funding for such a mission, the entire system begs for investigation. The US government incentivizes the very behavior which leads to the destruction of the American male and the nuclear family. Why? How? What can be done?

Casual observations of the dating market can quickly force a total examination of society at large. Once you begin to investigate that, the answers and questions become compelling to the point of leading you to abandon the thing you started with: why is dating so weird these days?

Where does the rabbit hole go?

The questions I ask now are why did the country change so much in the last five years? Why has the chasm between my moderate views and the left grown so wide? Where are we going?  What is going to happen next?

How is it that so many have gone from Democrat to Deplorable so quickly?

And that my friends is where I find myself today.  Long-time readers will note my twitter feed has been more politics than sex for some time, and my recent posts have moved from sexual dynamics to political questions rather quickly. The next few months will be spent continuing this evolution, in fact, I’m writing a book on it:

Democrat to Deplorable: The Transitioning of America.

Stay tuned, help me with research and questionnaires when the time is right, make yourself available for interviews. This story is one that many of us share.  Fully 60%+ of my readers never voted GOP before but this year voted for Trump and I intend to find out why.

This is a transformative time in America, history will look back to 2017 as an inflection point, breaking one way or the other. Pressures have been building for some time.

Demographic changes, ideological shifts, breakdown in family structures, and disruptive technology all working to a crescendo in last year’s election. The future is uncertain but the importance of this time is not.

Help me tell your story. Help me tell our story.

The story of how America went from Democrat to Deplorable and was proud of it.

Post your stories, ideas, or comments below and let’s do this together.

Join thousands of others and sign up for my mailing list.  I want you on my crew today:

Join the list and get my FREE eBook:

"THE BEST OF JACK MURPHY LIVE"

• How to find your masculinity in today's world
  • How to be a thoughtful steward in all your relationships
  • How to become a man you'd admire

Sign up now and get the eBook today:

[mc4wp_form id="555"]
14 comments… add one
  • Dman Feb 17, 2017 @ 17:07

I think this is a great idea. I hated GWB (couldn’t vote), didn’t vote for Obama’s first term (couldn’t vote), voted for Obama’s second term (now could vote, registered independent), switched to R only to vote in primary for Trump and then in the election. My FB feed is 100% Trump hate, 98% of my social circle or people I know are anti-Trump, so I am in the closet. But, we won. There’s definitely a story here, and a big one.

• Jack Murphy Feb 18, 2017 @ 14:50

I have the same experience. I am looking for more of these first hand accounts to unearth the real story behind the cultural shift. The economic story has been discussed but the cultural effect is under reported. I think largely because the media blinded by their own bias. Thanks for the comment.

• Patrick Mosier Feb 18, 2017 @ 15:26

I was 18 and in my first time voting, I voted for Obama and other Democrats. I’m embarrassed to admit it now, but frankly I was an idiot to believe in the things that the liberals support. The way they sell things to people is basically tell them they have a right to them. So back then I believe in Universal Healthcare, Pro-Choice, etc. When I started college, I majored in Political Science. I had a professor that taught History, American Government, etc. He exposed me and I’m sure others to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and how our Founding Fathers wrote about them and believed in them. Not wrongly interpreting them and molding them to fit your ideology. I owe a huge thank you to that professor for exposing me to the truth and truly educating me. He was the only professor in that department that wasn’t a “progressive” liberal I believe. Also, once I started making money, and still to this day get mad looking at my pay statement and seeing all the taxes that are taken out. Knowing that in many cases that money is going to people that don’t care to work and want to live off others, plus others that are here illegally. Almost every day, I wrestle with the thought of maybe starting my own blog and writing for a living. Maybe even run for political office, work on a campaign, or for an organization. Sorry If I ranted a little there, I’m just a little passionate about my beliefs in small government and Constitutional principles.haha. I hope this helps you!

• Jack Murphy Feb 18, 2017 @ 15:35

Thank you for all of that. It is true, American Universities are overrun with progressives. You’re lucky to have found a professor who shared the truth with you.

• temphero Feb 18, 2017 @ 15:29

Alright, I’ll tell about my experience and apologies in advance for typos and what have you. For the record, up until the DNC, I was a Bernie supporter. At the time, he seemed to have had sensible policies, but after seeing how CNN and other media outlets were reporting about how he had no chance and baking the superdelegate count into Hillary’s total plus the combination of the DNC leaks, something just snapped, it was like hitting rock bottom in disgust or indifference. Trump was constantly in the news and through the Internet, I got to see some of his rallies for myself.

What I saw was a guy who was relentless about putting the country first, even if at times, he was a bit crass. In addition, he was probably the one example of ‘noblesse oblige’ that I saw out there on the campaign trail. He openly acknowledged that there were problems throughout the country and through his talking, I got to see the whole country and not just the country through what I’ll call the ‘Smug Liberal Filter’, where the coastal areas are awesome and the middle folks have no idea what they’re doing. Through Trump, I saw stories of people who did everything right and the current Administration was utterly indifferent to their struggle.

Reading liberal sites like Naked Captialism, I saw how under Obama, healthcare became worse and people were put into the moral dilemma of whether or not to pay some crazy huge deductible or go without. In addition to this, I saw how a few people brought things to the edge of collapse and got off scot-free. At this point, I saw it all for what it was: incrementalism. Democrats always had lofty words, which just amounted to “Oh, that’s way too bold, we can’t do that!” or when they had an opportunity to do something, they say that they’ll fight, but never actually try.

You know that the world is upside down when you have the Democrat being more for war than the Republican candidate, something in my few years of following politics had never happened. So with all of that in mind, even if people were disgusted at my decision, and despite voting for Obama twice, I had to check the box for Trump. It was the only way to get things approaching back to normal, where we focus on the problems here before dealing with outside, unless we end up like Europe.

• Thea Feb 18, 2017 @ 21:33

I was deplorable for having the audacity to oppose illegal immigration among other invasive forms of massive immigration. Such xenophobia! How could an immigrant such as myself oppose immigration? Precisely that’s the reason. I viewed open border policies as the affirmative action of immigration, which is akin to a hard slap across the face for my group of immigrants who worked hard and earned our spot here. Simple as that. I hopped onto the Trump Train early on for this reason alone. You control the immigration, and you control everything else. It’s really not that complicated. 😛

• Jack Murphy Feb 18, 2017 @ 21:39

Affirmative action for immigration. That’s a phrase I’ve not heard before. I appreciate your comment. Did you ever vote Democrat prior to this election?

• Thea Feb 18, 2017 @ 21:56

For a local election years back. If memory serves me well, they still lost.

• Nabeel Azeez Feb 27, 2017 @ 22:58

I vaguely remember a video or podcast Roosh did where he mentions Cernovich saying to him, “I gotta get out of the manosphere ghetto.”

Maybe this is you now.

• Jack Murphy Feb 27, 2017 @ 23:01

Perhaps. In some ways though, investigating relationships led me directly to the bigger questions of the day. It’s all tied together. I hope to unearth and finalize an underlying unifying theory.

Thank you for you reading.

• Chris Mar 4, 2017 @ 16:34

I don’t know Jack. Totally get the idea; truth be told people care and will read. Me personally, I’m done. All out of give a f@cks. Since 2008 have been maniacally focused on Obama, the undoing of the country, the financial system etc.. EVERY MINUTE OF THAT THOUGHT WAS WASTED. Can’t change it, can’t impact it. Focused on my people and my sh&t. I want to hear about your experiences on TRT. I want to hear about fights you have gotten in. I want to hear about things that you have experienced and tried. You are an interesting dude, I want to make my life more awesome by learning from people like you.

Get after it.

• Jack Murphy Mar 4, 2017 @ 16:44

Well said. Don’t worry. There will still be a lot of the same stuff. Just adding this bit to it too. Appreciate the comments and feedback, really.

• Katie Jensen Mar 1, 2017 @ 8:29

Here is the overview of my story: I had been a die hard democrat my entire life. In the last year, I had really been diving deep in to the refugee crisis in Europe such had me concerned. For educational reasons I decided to listen to some conservative programs to see what they thought and why they were wrong lol. It turns out that I ended up agreeing with most of what they had to say, so you couldn say that backfired! I did not vote Trump in the election but post election when the left started rioting and losing their minds it disgusted me so much I moved towards right leaning moderate. I was sick of censorship, sick of being told to feel guilty, follow certain movements or I was a bad person/racist etc. I got sick of editing my speech and being told my values or ideals where immoral. I am a gay girl who went right and it has been harder than coming out was. I’ve been called a traitor to my people, I have internalized homophobia, I was racist etc. It’s unusual to be gay and on the right. I had only ever heard how awful the right was to gay people. It turned out they were wrong. I have been treated way better by the right than the left, the party of tolerance and diversity. I feel totally free, a weight off my shoulders now. I decided to launch a political commentary twitter and future YouTube etc to reach out to people all over and to be able to interact with others having similar struggles. It’s been an amazing journey so far and I have met some great people! I think more gay people should jump ship. Lol